Tuesday, August 17, 2010

Working with Laminates

Has anyone tried the new laminates that are out there? The Amy Butler ones are gorgeous! I made this large Metro backpack for one of my customers on Etsy.com. I even lined it with a laminate- customer's idea. I don't know which was prettier - the lining or the outer laminate.

Sewing these laminates was pretty easy except for the urge to pin and iron- you cannot do either very well. Finger pressing worked pretty well and a press cloth on the wrong side with a dry iron also worked. As for the pin problem, I used paper clips. As long as you had the right sides together, the back of the laminate is cotton, the paper clips slide on easily. I also just used my regular walking foot on my sewing machine. A friend suggested a "teflon" foot- but I did not find it necessary.

Can't wait to make some more things. Have you made something from the laminates? I would love to hear about it. You can also go to Oilcloth Addict and find some great patterns. The laminates are similar in "touch & feel" but are vinyl coated cotton. They are great for lunch totes.

No comments:

Post a Comment