Saturday, September 4, 2010

Healthy Banana Bread/Muffins


I have been baking banana bread since I was around 10 years old. We always had tons of bananas around since my dad drove a delivery truck for a local banana distributor and would always bring home bags of them. It wasn't a very exciting job until he told me stories of how once in a while the bananas came in with tarantulas in the boxes!

My recipe for banana bread has evolved quite a bit since those early days with mom and dad. It seems every time I make it I add something new. Lately I have been sticking to the following recipe where I have tried to make it a little more healthy by adding some whole wheat flour and flax seed. It is one of the few things my son will eat that I bake so I love to pack it with nutritious ingredients. I also use this recipe to make muffins which are great to pack for a snack for work or school.

Healthier Banana Bread/Muffins
makes 2 loaves or 1 loaf and a dozen muffins

1 1/2 cups sugar
1 cup oil
4 eggs,beaten
2 tsp. Vanilla extract
3 large mashed bananas
2 1/2 cups unbleached white flour
1 cup whole wheat flour
4 tsp. baking powder
1 tsp. baking soda
1 tsp. salt
2 TBLS. ground flax seed
1 cup oats (old fashioned or quick)
1 cup shredded coconut, sweetened
1/2 cup raisins (optional)
1/2 cup dried cranberries (optional)
1 cup chopped nuts (optional)
1 cup chocolate chips (optional)

Pre-heat oven to 350.
  • Combine sugar and oil in a large bowl. Add eggs, vanilla and bananas, stir well.
  • Sift together both flours, baking powder, baking soda & salt. Add to banana mixture and stir well.
  • Now add flax seed, oats, coconut, raisins, cranberries, nuts & chocolate chips to the mixture
  • and stir until combined.
  • Spray loaf pans with non- stick spray such as PAM and/or line muffin pan with paper liners.
  • Fill baking pans and bake muffins for approximately 20 minutes and loaves for 45 to 55 minutes, until tester (toothpick) comes out clean.
  • Cool on rack for 5 mintues and then remove from pans and place on rack to cool completely.

Hope you get a chance to try it. Have a great day!

No comments:

Post a Comment